Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Nanny Returns

I chose to use my short time between jobs, when I wasn't driving across the country for a trip to my home state and back, to read. Every Jane Austen book I've read, I loved, but for some reason, I just could not get into Mansfield Park. I still feel bad that I abandoned it a mere 12% in (got to love Kindle's lack of page numbers, instead providing you with the percentage you've completed). I decided to switch genres completely by reading Nanny Returns by Emma McLaughlin & Nicola Kraus.


Yes, the  movie starring Scarlet Johannson was horrible, but the book? As far as chick-lit goes, I enjoyed it. I read the first book years ago, chose to read it last night on a whim. For some reason the character Nan sticks out to me, because even though she gets involved in these asinine situations with powerful, wealthy people, she still follows her heart in the end. It makes me question if mothers in New York City really treat their children that way, however. I read the book in one sitting, and was definitely engrossed. Sure, it's no Mansfield Park, but it was definitely the type of book I needed right now in my efforts to unwind before ramping things up to start my new job! I'd give it 3.5 out of 5 stars, when comparing it to other books that are similar in genre. Jane Austen, I'll come back to your book someday, when my brain is further rejuvenated.

What should I read next? 

No comments:

Post a Comment