Monday, August 19, 2013

Currently reading: White Teeth

I'm not one to give up on a book once I start it, I convince myself it will get better, that I'll start to enjoy it, the plot will suddenly change.. anything to force myself to finish it. This is one reason I love love love Goodreads - its such a great little site full of avid readers like me, who love to share their reviews. Plus if you're OCD about lists, like I am, I thoroughly enjoy being able to track all the books I've read over the year, how many pages I've read, authors I read the most, etc. It's just a great site for readers. In fact, I just converted my 14 year old cousin (who is an avid reader, which I LOVE), to the site during our family dinner. Highly recommend it.


Part of my mission during my "summer vacation" is to just read. I picked up White Teeth, by Zadie Smith, which some pretty mixed reviews; but I downloaded it to my Kindle via my library anyways. Sadly, it's a book I cannot wait to finish - I find myself skimming pages just to hurry it up. I know I'm being stubborn, but I won't let myself put it down. I'm about 80% done, and I can't wait for it to be over. It's all about religion, cultural differences, generational differences, which on the surface is something that really interests me. But, I just can't get into it.

Does anyone else feel guilty when they start a book and don't end up liking it? I just want to like every book I read, and then feel bad when I do not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment