Monday, August 26, 2013

Nashville

If I were to win the lottery tonight, tomorrow I would book myself a flight.. really to anywhere in the world. While I haven't been to Europe since I studied abroad in 2008 I've come to realize, that while yes, Europe is absolutely amazing and beautiful and full of culture and history, the U.S. is too, and I should be taking full advantage of our 50 states and everything it has to offer. As such, I've been slowly (as time and, more importantly, finances, allow), checking off places right here. Luckily, I have some wonderful friends who are always on board for an adventure, sometimes even spur of the moment.

I always get airfare alerts, just in case a deal pops up that you just can't refuse - you never know! Last February, I got a deal alert for flights to Nashville. A GOOD deal. $200-300 LESS than normal cost. I love country music. I love BBQ. Why not Nashville? I immediately texted my friend, somehow got on board right away, and I booked us flights to Nashville for a long weekend in April less than an hour after getting the alert. Our other friend ended up booking a flight as well. Yes, we did it 3 months in advance. Yes, it was impulsive, but before we knew it April arrived. 

The trip was wonderful. We wandered the city, ate tons of food, heard live music everywhere we went, did the whole bar scene, went to the Grand Ole Opry (and now have since become obsessed with Lennon & Maisy), toured gardens and plantations, saw Taylor Swift's guitar, ate some more at the Pancake Pantry, walked Vanderbilt's campus, ate pimento cheese and fried green tomatoes, and I even got to see my beloved Detroit Red Wings play the Nashville Predators (totally not planned). I'd never been to another hockey arena other than my Wings, so that alone was awesome (and we won!). If you love country music and amazing food, you will love Nashville. It's a very small city, much smaller than I thought it'd be, and easily walkable. Every place you go has live music, everyone is friendly, the food was just unreal (and cheap). It really doesn't get better.

Something about traveling - the excitement leading up the trip, the planning and reading trip advisor/books to figure out where you want to go, packing, going to the airport. The idea of going somewhere completely new to you, and trying new things. Nothing quite beats it. I can't wait to plan my next adventure soon. Where should I go next?

No comments:

Post a Comment