Monday, November 22, 2010

Weekend Restaurant - French style

One of my favorite things to do is to try new restaurants; and I frequently go to places with my fellow (vegetarian) foodie friend. This weekend we tried a place new to both of us, Bistrot Du Coin, a quaint French bistro near DuPont Circle. She had read about it somewhere and was dying to try it, so she made us a reservation. Sidenote: DuPont has SO many amazing restaurants and fun bars, I recommend taking a stroll through that area!

I've never had much experience with French food, but I was excited. When I went to Paris, I unfortunately went with girls who would only eat McDonalds or Italian food (NO JOKE, I was so mad), so even in France I didn't get that experience, which clearly I am still bitter about 2 1/2 years later.


Okay, back to Bistrot Du Coin- the atmosphere in there reminded me of the cafeteria's in Spain. Old feeling, quaint, loud, music, but delicious food. And, our food was DELICIOUS. I want to go back and try more food. My friend and I split a warm goat cheese & walnut salad, which, while small was yummy. We both wished that it was a bigger portion- it would have been perfect for one person.

Not a photo by me, but you get my point!
We then had mussels, also tasty. The pot was large and filling, which led to us reminiscing about our trip together to Belgium, where we had HUGE pots of mussels that cost us only $10 in a small restaurant, sitting by a fireplace. The mussels came with some really yummy (but salty) french fries, too.


We finished off our dinner with a French cheese plate. I love cheese, but I wasn't so fond of the stronger ones. I tried a bit of each, but stuck with the amazingly yummy brie cheese, and my friend ate the rest.

We were stuffed to the brim by the time we were done; I wish we had gotten dessert. I will be back to Bistrot Du Coin; perhaps with my parents when they visit or with other friends. Highly recommend this restaurant!

And, now I'm wanting to go back to Paris and eat real French Food and not cheeseburgers and spaghetti.


3 comments:

  1. i don't have a lot of experience with French food either, but will have to try more!

    (i've never had mussels, either!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love trying new restaurants, but since I don't eat out much, I usually just translate that to trying new foods/recipes at home

    This place sounds delicious though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You MUST try mussels, they're delicious; and its kind of fun to take them apart and have all the empty shells.

    French food is great. Monica, if you ever try any "French" recipes, let me know :)

    ReplyDelete