Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Why I love Thanksgiving..

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays; I think it's pretty close to Christmas. Especially now that I have to fly home for it and don't see my family as often, it's more important to me. By the time this posts, I will have already left DC and arrived back home with my family and friends. Cannot wait!

I love...
  • the amazing food. This year my Mom's not cooking and I'm kind of sad because my parents are the most amazing cooks I've ever met (for real). But... it's nice because we are...
  • spending time with family. My family is large and we see each other often; but Thanksgiving everyone does their own thing and Christmas is where we ALL (over 50 of us) come together (at my parents house). This year we are going to my Aunt's for Turkey Day; and spending it with my aunt/uncle and at least two of my cousins, and my grandma. I'm excited to spend time with a few of my cousins and my family. I appreciate my family so much more now that I'm not living at home.
  • colder weather - It's pretty warm in the District- this past weekend it was in the 60s! At home, its in the 30s, and I'm looking to a few days of cold.
I'm pretty sure this is the most awesome picture - EVER!
  • the Michigan/Ohio State weekend! Yes, Michigan sucks and will probably lose, but this is the biggest game of the year, still, and I am SO excited to get to watch it with my Dad/maybe other family members! Miracles can happen, right? My Dad isn't too optimistic, but I still have hope!
  • that Christmas is almost here! Thanksgiving marks the start of Christmas lights, my Mom putting up decorations, and Christmas music. It makes me excited.
  • thinking about present shopping - my brother and I will HOPEFULLY get our shopping done for our parents this week, but knowing us, that's not a guarantee. I love present shopping for others, but Black Friday kind of intimidates me.
  • Christmas/Holiday cards - My Mom always does our cards... do I send out my own now that I no longer live with them? It's not like I have a significant other or a pet to take a photo with.. and my favorite part about cards is the photo. Maybe I'll send out some personal/handwritten cards to just my family and a few close friends. I should get on that!
  • new traditions. I'm hoping to meet one of my "little" (she's 16, I can't believe it!) cousins for coffee and breakfast, something we've been trying to do every time I come home now. I miss my sports buddy! (we go to a lot of games together.) I also want to see my god daughter and basically cram as much family time as I can into the 4.5 days I'm home!

1 comment: