Sunday, December 5, 2010

Book #20 - The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest


"Friendship is probably the most common form of love." — Stieg Larsson (The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest)

What: The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest
By: Steig Larson
My thoughts: I started this immediately after finishing The Girl who Played with Fire (my thoughts), and this one was by FAR my favorite out of the series. It picked up right where The Girl who Played with Fire left off, wasting no time getting into the thick of the plot. It was fascinating to have this struggle between the government and the legal system, and the consistent theme of how far someone will go to protect themselves, even if it means breaking the law. It made me think of the power of a government, and what they truly are capable of doing, without anyone ever knowing they're doing it. 


Again, this book was violent and dark at times, so if that's not your thing, you may  not want to read. The book was unpredictable, in that you never knew what would happen next, and if Lisbeth, Blomkvist, or any of the other characters were going to find themselves in danger yet again. The character of Lisbeth is so well-done, she has so many layers to her and she's definitely not a cookie-cutter character. Even when the book ends, you still don't know how to feel about her. You feel bad for her for all she's been through, but she can hold her own. She's tough, unique, insanely smart but socially awkward, hard to understand and to love, but you love her all the same- which is exactly how Blomkvist and others feel.

My rating: 5 out of 5 stars. Perhaps its the political science major dork in me, but I was extremely interested in the book and highly recommend it. I'm starting to want to read more books in the mystery genre; I've never liked them before but these books are making me question that!

I wont be seeing the movies, however. They're bound to be violent and dark, and thats definitely not my type of movie!

What's next: Currently reading (dont judge) Decision Points by George Bush.. I kind of want to start reading a book about every President.. stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment