Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Missing Madrid

Back in college, I spent a semester studying in Madrid. I was a political science and Spanish major, and able to take politics classes in Spanish, so it made sense for me. It was my first time leaving the country (not counting Mexico/Canada) and leaving my family for 5 months. I was nervous and excited, but looking back, I am so glad I took the opportunity. I was able to explore a significant chunk of Spain, experience new cultures, and travel to other countries as well. I met one of my best friends in Madrid. I tried new foods, practiced my Spanish and went outside of my comfort zone; I knew not one person when I got there. I saw flamenco dancing, ate paella, witnessed a bull fight, and came home never wanting to see ham ever again. I explored, churches, castles, and hundreds of museums. I could talk about my time abroad for hours. In the spirit of my reminiscing, here are a few things I'm missing about Madrid.

I miss the delicious paella (my roomies and I made this one!)… and the gorgeous Retiro park.... 


 The crazy festivals they had for Holy Week (Yes, this woman is strumming a ham!).... 

The amazing architecture and the beautiful flowers and nature...

 The incredible museums and the fun night life in Sol… 


and the beautiful architecture/sculptures/fountains everywhere (Madrid parties in this fountain if their football team wins!)

There are hundreds of other things I miss about Madrid; these are just a few (I have misplaced my pictures of Plaza Mayor my most favorite spot in Madrid). I'd love to go back someday, and take my parents or someone special, and show them the places I loved during my six months there. One of the best decisions I've ever made was to study abroad. I'm so glad I did it!


More travel posts to come; looking at my photos from my time abroad in all the different cities is one of my favorite things to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment