Monday, December 13, 2010

DC Metro.. An ode to my hatred

I try to stay away from complaining on my blog. Why would I want to look back on my complaints and negativity later on? However, after legitimately experiencing what very well was my worst metro commute to work EVER, I've lost my patience and must let it all out. I have a bone to pick with the DC metro. Actually, I HATE the DC metro.
Let us begin with this morning. Usually takes me 30ish minutes to get to work via metro/my walk to the station. Not a huge deal. Got to metro early, to work early. Train is waiting at platform, overly crowded, per usual. I jump on. Aaannnd we wait. And wait. Train becomes more crowded. Fortunately a co-worker has joined me randomly and we chat. We're alerted that there's a fire at a station (like 10 stations up). By this point a good ten minutes have passed. Doors close, we move to next station. Where MORE people their way in and a woman tramples all over my feet and bag. We can barely move. So we wait, and WAIT SOME MORE. Another 10-15 minutes pass. Make it to the next stop. Where we wait for approx. THIRTY MINUTES. I understand there's a fire, but we're trying to get to a station before the fire. Now a switch malfunctions. Now no trains can go between the busiest stops in the city, including our stop.Shuttles hopefully (not yet) should function. By this point, we are late for work.. It's been almost an hour to go three stops. We get off, and it's chaos. People everywhere, bus lines like crazy. Everyone trying to hail cabs- we're still in Virginia and not even close to work yet. After walking in the frigid cold and finally catching a cab. We make it work an hour late, and two hours after I left my apartment.

Now you may respond to my rant with an, oh well, it's a fire, they can't control that. BUT my friend, this is the third time in 1 week that I've experience train malfunctions and horrible delays. LAST MONDAY it took me an hour to get to work when the train broke and they single tracked at my metro, leading again to people shoving into the train like sausages. Last THURSDAY people overcrowded the train and it offloaded at my stop, again forcing the train to be stuffed. 

I wish I could say these three incidents are the only thing. But nope, it's not. Its not the people who work the metro's fault- everyone I've met who works for transit has been extremely nice, helpful and sympathetic. Its the ACTUAL system I hate. I know every system has its problems... the DC metro is clean and relatively modern. I just wish it actually functioned! Some of these problems are caused by just plain people who aren't smart.. so I dont blame the metro for everything. But ugh. I wish I could walk or drive to work.

Reasons why I hate the DC Metro
  • Constant delays, and train malfunctions during rush hour. Even when I double my travel time, I'm late for work!
  • Closing stations on a work day (not everyone is a federal employee with holidays off!), and then your train going in the WRONG direction without them telling you until you're already at the wrong place.
  • Blank screens that don't tell you when your train will come, sometimes making you wait 20-30 minutes with no idea when it will come.
  • Single track "maintence" on weekends, so it takes triple the time to get where you need go to.
  • Dumb people who jump on trains while doors are closing, and force us to offload because the "doors wouldn't close."
  • Not preparing for major events: aka Rally for Sanity chaos, Cherry Blossom festival, tourist season, again causing MASSIVE crowds and chaos.
  • Tourists who don't heed to our rule, stand on the right, walk on the left, and clog the escalators.
  • People who bring giant backpacks and hit you in the face or pin you against pole.
  • Last but not least, increasing fares for all of this "excellent" service.

No comments:

Post a Comment