Wednesday, October 20, 2010

All You Can Jet - Would you?

Traveling has long been a passion of mine, but being a recent college graduate in her first full-time job, I sadly do not have much money leftover to spend on travels. A very interesting article on The New York Times blog "Frugal Traveler" got me thinking. Would I love Jet Blue's summer promo (which I had never heard about before!) "All You Can Jet Pass," $499 for 30 days of unlimited travels, or $699 to include weekend dates?

Setting aside the fact that Jet Blue unfortunately does not fly in or out of the Mitten, and has limited flights to/from DC (although I can fly to Cancun from Dulles.. hmm...), this is a concept I find extremely intriguing for multiple reasons. If it were an airline that offered more direct flights and more airports to choose from, then I'd probably sign up in a heartbeat. Jet Blue does offer a lot of flights to the Caribbean, but I have no idea how many of those are direct flights (I'm NOT a fan of layovers).  Heck, one round-trip ticket back to my family sets me back close to $300 when it's all said and done. Flying these days is simply too expensive, and it makes me sad.

If I had a job that required me to fly to major cities on a regular in the US, such as NYC, Boston, Chicago, LA, etc., this would be a perfect plan. Or if I had a month's vacation time to just pick up and travel around, I'd do it as well. To be spontaneous, and just hop on a random flight to somewhere new (knowing that it's already paid for) would be... well, amazing. I highly recommend you read the article, where people discuss how they used their Jet Blue pass, and also the power of social media to share their experiences. One man flew 70 times in 30 days! I can't even imagine. Another was focused on philanthropy and poverty.  Everyone had a different reason for using it, and I think that's why I enjoyed the article so much. That, and I was living vicariously through these "Jet Bluers" while reading it. *Sigh* I want to travel now!

So, to answer my own question. If I had the money, and at the very least, the ability to take long weekends, I would sign up for it in a heartbeat. I think that the adventure of it all would be a great experience and an excuse to get to some amazing places I've never been. Hey, I gotta reach my goal of traveling to all 50 states somehow! Maybe other airlines will follow Jet Blue's example and someday have similar promotions? I doubt it, but it's a nice idea.

Would you do it?

1 comment:

  1. that's interesting, but i don't know many people with a random 30 days to spare in order to take complete advantage. though if i worked in schools and had the summers off, i might do it!

    ReplyDelete