Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Stuffed chicken with Tarragon pan sauce

In theory, I always think that I'd enjoy a week off with nothing to do. But now, 5 days in to my week long break before my job starts, I am bored. There's only so much TV, internet surfing, shopping & reading a girl can do when everyone else is at work.

I'm still excited for my cooking challenge and am starting to plan out my grocery list and recipes I want to do so I can stay in my budget.

In the meantime, I cooked dinner last night and this evening, both turned out pretty delicious. Last night, I made Mexican Fish & Chips, courtesy of a Food Network recipe (I'll share that another time). Tonight, I made a Rachel Ray recipe (notice the food network trend?) and I was pleasantly surprised!

Prosciutto, Garlic and Herb Cheese-stuffed Chicken with Tarragon Pan Sauce - (Rachel Ray - "365: No Repeats")

4 6-ounce boneless, skineless chicken breast halves
4 slices proscuitto di Parma
4 ounces garlic and herb cheese (they recommended Boursin)
Toothpicks
3 tablespoons extra-virgin oilive oil
salt and pepper
2 tablespoonsunslated butter
2 tablesppons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup of white wine
1 cup chicken stock
2 tablespoons fresh tarragon leaves (I just used the stuff I had in my spice cabinet)

Place chicken in between two sheets of wax paper and pound out.  Place one slice of prosciutto on top of each pounded chicken breast. Place a quarter of the garlic and herb cheese on top of each prosciutto slice.
Wrap and roll the chicken over the stuffing. Secure the meat with toothpicks.
Preheat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with the EVOO. Season the stuffed and rolled chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Add the breasts to the pan and brown on all sides, cooking for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove the breasts; add the butter to the pan, then the flour. Cook for a minute, whisk in the wine, and reduce for another minute. Whisk in the stock and tarragon and return the chicken to the pan. Reduce the heat and simmer until ready to serve. Remove toothpicks and serve whole or sliced.
Serves 3-4

Lessons learned:
  • I wasn't sure how to pound the chicken, since I've always seen my parents use a mallet, which I currently do not have. A quick phone-call to my parents confirmed I could use a the bottom of a frying pan and pound out the meat that way.
  • Also, the side of the meat with the toothpicks is difficult to cook since the toothpicks are in the way - just be mindful of this and you should be okay (I somehow maneuvered the chicken in the pan, and it worked)
  • I served mine with some whole wheat spaghetti pasta, which was yummy
  • I didnt cut it in half this time, but next time I will. It was super easy to make though, and not very time consuming - I think it took me 30ish minutes, which makes sense, since it was a 30 minute Rachel Ray meal :)
  • Also, I totally need to buy some tongs next time I'm out - flipping around chicken is serious business!
The finished product!

As always, thoughts, recipe or food ideas are always welcomed!

1 comment: