Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Gurnsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society

What: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
By: Marry Ann Schaffer and Annie Barrows
My thoughts: I finished reading this last night; and stayed up past my "bedtime" to finish it. What an amazing book. I've always enjoyed books that have some sort of historical reference, and this one takes place in London/the island of Guernsey post-World War II. It took me awhile to finish this book but last night I couldnt stop; I read the last 1/3 of it in one sitting. One thing that freaked me out, was thinking about how I'd react if something that devastating and horrendous ever were to happen to me - I'm not sure I'd be as strong as the people who survived WWII and concentration camps. 

The entire book is a series of telegrams/letters, and despite the fact that its not a "traditional" book, you still become extremely connected to Juliet, the main character, as well as Kit, Sidney, Elizabeth, Remy and all the islanders. The book is sad, particularly in hearing about families and lives torn apart by the war, and the concentration camps. But, its also inspirational to hear about the strength these people had living during such a horrible time period of total devastation, and how they began to rebuild their lives.

I want to read/learn more about Guernsey; I've never heard much about this island before and now am extremely curious.
My rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars. I'd highly recommend reading this book.
What's next: The Girl who Played with Fire - Stieg Larson

What are you reading?

1 comment:

  1. I read a book called "Oxygen" by Carol Cassalla on the airplane to Cali and it was actually pretty good. It's fiction but also kind of "hospital mystery," and I really enjoyed it.

    I started "Real Life and Liars" by Kristina Riggle (I think) and it is the cheesiest, most stereotypical book I've read in a long time. I have to finish it b/c I'm more than halfway at this point but it literally makes me want to write a book b/c I know I can do better than her drivel.

    That sounds harsh, but it upsets me when crappy writing is so popular!

    ReplyDelete